Thursday, October 18, 2012

Sun Halo

 
Assalamualaikum w.b.t.
 
It was a sunny day on 2 Oct 2012 when suddenly I recieved a call from my wife describing a rainbow forming around the sun.
 
I checked the sky. It was nearly half past one and the sun was very bright with clear sky. Obviously I saw a circle of 'rainbow' arround the sun. It was a sun halo.
 
Based on my search in the internet, halo effect is an optical phenomenon produced by ice crystals creating coloured or white arcs arround a source of light. In the case of the sun halo, it may caused by ice crystals formed in the upper cirrus clouds (5 to 10km high) at troposphere region. The crystals act like prism and mirror, refracting and reflecting the sun light that create the beautiful 'rainbow'.
 
As I didn't bring my DSLR, I had to utilize whatever possible gadget in hand. Lucky that I had my handphone with me, thus I used my handphone camera to capture the event. 
 
The last two photos were shared by my friend. Beautiful shot using handphone camera.... Credit to my friend.... :) 

 
 
had to shield the sun to have a better view...

From another angle...

Sun halo: a good framing...  

From another angle...... credit to my friend
 
Thank you.

No comments: